"Everybody dance now!"
- Forget You by Cee Lo Green because... forget cancer.
- Mama Said Knock You Out because Chris H has been knocking out some cancer.
- O Love that Will Not Let Me Go because The Lord has showed up for us in cancer.
- Tonight, Tonight by Hot Chelle Rae because I dare you to resist singing along with it, and we're at a roll down the windows, turn up the volume and sing your heart out place right now...
- No electronics. Not even for me.
- Supply the boys with whatever ridiculous, normally off-limits breakfast cereal they choose.
- Just because children complain about something doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
- When you go for a hike, think of it more as being in the woods than covering any real mileage.
- Except for one day. Go for a hike that pushes the envelope - something ill-advised that they'll be proud of completing.
I watched my boys hike their way through that forest that was and will be again. Each of them was wearing a bit of bright blue, and they were conspicuous in that stark forest - as they are when they're at the hospital with us. I worry for them over the cancer hits they've taken. To watch your dad go through this is hard and painful and it leaves marks in ways they can't understand yet. But I watched those bright, blue boys walk persistently on and felt assured - in a way I can't quite define or describe - that they're going to be okay, even if they're not okay.
Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion. Psalm 84:5-7